Whether it’s on bathroom ceilings, in dark bedroom corners or in a brand new apartment – mould is a tricky issue to deal with. It can set landlords and tenants into “finger-pointing’ blame cycles. Managing mould issues in leased properties is often a source of discord and confusion.
It Doesn’t Need To Be
Nicole Bijlmsa, building biologist and IICRC accredited mould remediation technician will help you better understand exactly how serious mould can be in a living environment. Ideal to pass along to property management colleagues who don’t recognise the risks of having mould in their investment property, it’s a quick, interesting read. Click the following link to read Nicole’s article.
Mould: The Next Asbestos
“You can’t always see it or even smell it, however it affects almost 1 in 3 Australian homes. It can have devastating consequences on the lives of those who can’t produce antibodies against it. I’m talking about MOULD which many are referring to as the next asbestos. So given that fungi are nature’s greatest decomposes and have been around well before us, why is mould such a problem now?
Energy efficient homes are like plastic bags (air and watertight) with compromised passive ventilation. Consequently, there has been a considerable increase in the number of complaints to the Building Commission about condensation issues. Additionally, we have gone from using building materials like hardwood timbers that naturally contain resins that are resistant to fungal attack to pre-digested particle board. This is the perfect fast food for mould. The two factors come together to create a toxic time bomb.
The Cause Of Mould is Moisture
Fungi needs moisture to thrive. As microbes are everywhere on this planet from the Arctic to Antarctica- and most building materials and furnishings in our homes are the perfect fast food for mould – the key to addressing any mould problem is to identify the source of the moisture.
Once moisture sits on a surface for more than 48 hours, bacteria and fungi begin to form.
The next time you consider using bleach on mould or simply “painting over’ the problem, please be aware neither of these methods address the serious health concerns that mould in living spaces presents leaving occupants potentially at risk.