Whether it’s on bathroom ceilings, in dark bedroom corners or in a brand new apartment, mould can be a tricky issue to deal with.
Mould: The next asbestos
“You can’t always see or even smell it, however, it affects almost 1 in 3 Australian homes and can have serious consequences on the lives of those who can’t antibodies against it. I’m talking about MOULD which many are referring to as the next asbestos. So given that fungi are nature’s greatest decomposes and have been around well before us, why is mould such a problem now?
Energy efficient homes are like plastic bags (air and water tight) with compromised passive ventilation. Consequently, there has been a considerable increase in the number of complaints to the Building Commission about condensation issues. Additionally, we have gone from using natural building materials like hardwood timbers that naturally contain resins that are resistant to fungal attack to predigested particle board that has become the perfect fast food for mould. The two factors come together to create a ticking time bomb.
The cause of mould is moisture
Fungi need food and moisture to thrive. As microbes are everywhere on this planet from the Arctic to Antarctica and most building materials and furnishings in our homes are the perfect fast food for mould – the key to addressing any mould problem is to identify the source of moisture. Once moisture sits on a surface for more than 48 hours, bacteria and fungi begin to have a field day.
The next time you think about using bleach on the visible mould at home, or contemplate simply ‘painting over’ the problem, we strongly urge you to think again. Neither of these methods addresses the serious health concerns that mould in living environments presents.
For more information on solving mould conundrums in your property, contact The Mould Doctor today.